An increasing confidence for winter weather conditions across South Central Texas has led the National Weather Service to issue a Winter Storm Warning for Comal County, including the City of New Braunfels.
Forecasters are predicting bitterly cold temperatures through Saturday with the possibility of as much as a quarter of an inch of ice accumulation on Thursday. In preparation for these winter weather conditions, the City of New Braunfels is taking several proactive steps, including a partial activation of the City’s Emergency Operations Center (or EOC). City staff will closely monitor weather conditions over the next few days and make decisions based on the severity of the winter storm.
- All non-essential City services will be closed on Thursday (02/03). This includes City Hall and other administrative offices, Municipal Court, the Public Library, the Westside Community Center, and Das Rec.
- Police, Fire/EMS, Public Works, and Solid Waste will continue operations as normal.
- Please note: There are currently no changes to the schedule for residential and commercial garbage and recycling pickup this week; however, City staff is closely monitoring weather and roadway conditions. Should changes become necessary, residents can find that information on the City of New Braunfels website and on the City’s social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and NextDoor).
- The Landa Park Golf Course at Comal Springs will close on both Thursday (02/03) and Friday (02/04).
- Restrooms, water fountains, and other facilities in all City parks will close temporarily.
Road and Bridge Preparation
City street crews have already begun preparations to lay down gravel and de-icing agents on local roads and bridges. Additionally, TxDOT is taking similar precautions on I-35 and other major highways. Should roads begin closing due to icy conditions, residents can find updated local road closure information on the City of New Braunfels website. Drivers are advised to avoid travel, if possible, once icy conditions have formed.
City Meetings & Events
- The New Braunfels Parks and Recreation Department’s Daddy Daughter Dance at Wursthalle, originally scheduled for Friday (02/04) and Saturday (02/05), has been postponed. Details about the rescheduling of that event will be announced as soon as those details are confirmed.
- The Animal Services Advisory Board meeting on Thursday (02/03) has been postponed to a later date.
- There are currently no other changes to City-related meetings or events. Additional delayed openings or closures will be posted on the City website and on the City’s social media platforms.
The City is currently making plans for the opening of a Warming Center, should that become necessary due to isolated prolonged power outages caused by windy conditions and/or icy conditions on power lines and trees.