The National Weather Service is predicting continued winter weather conditions across South Central Texas and they have extended the Winter Storm Warning for Comal and Guadalupe counties, to include the City of New Braunfels, until 6am Feb. 2nd...
The National Weather Service is predicting continued winter weather conditions across South Central Texas and they have extended the Winter Storm Warning for Comal and Guadalupe counties, to include the City of New Braunfels, until 6am Thursday, Feb. 2nd. Forecasters are predicting temperatures below freezing for much of the night Tuesday into Wednesday, with the possibility of as much as a quarter of an inch of ice accumulation. City of New Braunfels staff has been closely monitoring weather conditions and a number of decisions have been made to ensure the safety of City staff and residents.
- Today (01/31): City facilities will close at 5pm, per their usual schedule. However, the Public Library and Das Rec, which usually have later closing times, will close at 6pm.
- Wednesday (02/01): All non-emergency City services will be closed. This includes City Hall and other administrative offices, Municipal Court, the Public Library, the Westside Community Center, Das Rec, the Civic & Convention Center, the Landa Park Golf Course, the City Recycling Center, and the City Municipal Building (424 S. Castell Ave.).
- First responders, including Police and Fire/EMS services, will continue normal operations.
- Solid Waste & Recycling: Garbage pick-up will continue as usual Wednesday for both residential and commercial customers, although crews will wait to begin their routes until it is determined that roadways are safe, which may delay pick up times. In order to avoid having crews drive to San Antonio with recyclable materials, there will be no recycling collection Wednesday and all recycling collections for the remainder of the week are being pushed back by one day (ie: Wednesday to Thursday, Thursday to Friday).
- Restrooms, water fountains, and other facilities in all City parks are temporarily closed.
Road and Bridge Preparation
City street crews will continue to lay down gravel and de-icing agents on local roads and bridges. Additionally, TxDOT is taking similar precautions on I-35 and other major highways. Should roads begin closing due to icy conditions, residents can find updated local road closure information on the City of New Braunfels website. Drivers are advised to avoid travel, if possible, once icy conditions have formed.
City Meetings & Events
- Today (01/31): The New Braunfels Ethics Commission meeting scheduled for 5:30pm has been cancelled and will be rescheduled for a later date.
- Wednesday (02/01): The Community Development Advisory Committee meeting scheduled for 6:00pm has also been cancelled and will be rescheduled for a later date.
New Braunfels City staff will continue to monitor updates from the National Weather Service and any additional announcements about City facilities or services will be posted on the City’s website at www.newbraunfels.gov and the City’s social media accounts, including Facebook, Instagram and NextDoor.