The National Weather Service is predicting heavy rains across much of South Central Texas, beginning Friday evening and lasting into Sunday, prompting concerns about the possibility of flash flooding. A Flash Flood Watch for the entire region, including Comal and Guadalupe counties, will be in effect from 7pm Friday, May 12th until 8pm Saturday, May 13th. Forecasters are predicting a widespread 3 to 6 inches of rain along and west of the I-35 corridor, with higher rain totals possible which could potentially lead to concerns of river flooding. City of New Braunfels staff is closely monitoring weather conditions and is preparing to make a number of decisions to ensure the safety of residents and visitors. The City is preparing to possibly open the Emergency Operations Center, and the outdoor warning sirens will be used should river flooding occur.
City Facilities & Services
- At this time, there are no anticipated closures of City facilities. However, this remains a possibility on Saturday should weather conditions deteriorate. Updates will be issued should that become necessary.
- City officials are considering a preemptive closure of access to the Comal River and the City Tube Chute Friday evening in advance of heavy rains. This would allow City staff a safe timeframe to remove the railings on the Tube Chute Dam before the heavy rains begin. A decision on whether that closure is necessary will be made Friday afternoon.
- At this time, there are no anticipated changes to residential Solid Waste & Recycling services, which do not typically occur on weekends.
Roads and Low Water Crossing Preparations
City street crews are pre-staging barricades at low water crossings and other areas that are prone to street flooding. Should road closures become necessary, residents can find updated local road closure information on the City of New Braunfels website. Drivers should always remember to NEVER drive around barricades or through standing water on roads. TURN AROUND, DON’T DROWN.
City Meetings & Events
Although there are no scheduled City meetings on Friday evening or Saturday, there are several City-sponsored events that may be postponed or cancelled. This includes:
- Date Night on Landa Lake (Landa Park - Friday 5/12)
- Household Hazardous Waste Collection (City Hall - Saturday 5/13)
- Kops & Kids Safety Picnic (Landa Park - Saturday 5/13)
- District 2 Council Connect (New Braunfels National Airport - Saturday 5/13)
- Golf Tournament (Golf Course – Saturday 5/13)
Updates on postponements or cancellations for these events will be made once a decision has been made on Friday, based on the latest weather forecasts. New Braunfels City staff will continue to monitor updates from the National Weather Service and any additional announcements about City facilities or services will be posted on the City’s website at www.newbraunfels.gov and on the City’s social media accounts including Facebook, Instagram, and NextDoor.